- Release date: August 14, 2009 (Based on the 2009 NFL season.)
- Cover athletes: Troy Polamalu SS Pittsburgh Steelers, Larry Fitzgerald WR Arizona Cardinals (PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, iOS)
- This is the first game in the series with a new player ratings philosophy, in which the ratings have been re-scaled for a more noticeable difference between players.
- 99 Overall Club: QB Peyton Manning (Colts), WR Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals), DT Albert Haynesworth (Redskins), FS Ed Reed (Ravens), SS Troy Polamalu (Steelers), CB Nnamdi Asomugha (Raiders)
- Minnesota Vikings sign QB Brett Favre (82 OVR) in Roster Update #2.
- Philadelphia Eagles sign QB Michael Vick (73 OVR) in Roster Update #2.
- The initial final roster update for Madden NFL 10 removed players announcing retirement including QB Kurt Warner, RE Bertrand Berry, and LB Junior Seau. All have since been returned to Madden 10 as the last roster update re-added them back to the game. Originally meant to be the final update in early February, the removal of players who had retired following the ending of their season but before the completion of the NFL season created a strong reaction in the community. Typically retired players will remain on the final roster update, and removed in the next version of the game.